Sunday, October 13, 2013

Random International Update (13.10.13) <-- symmetry

Another week of classes! My Spanish literature classes are interesting, however one of the classes now only meets once a week, as opposed to twice a week, because of some sort of scheduling conflict with the professor. So, instead we have higher expectations of independent studying... we will see how that goes. My economics classes are quite difficult, but it helps that I speak English better than the teachers (many economics classes in Europe are taught in English). Now that I am officially registered in all of my classes and go to them regularly, here is the breakdown. 

Monday
Español - Avanzado
11:00 - 13:00
This is my daily dose of Spanish grammar. It is a double credit class that counts for absolutely nothing with regards to my major requirements. I am unsure what it counts for at all, actually. Maybe just credits towards graduation... but I am in no need of those after overloading classes for two years. The class is mostly American students. There is one Canadian that declared her nationality so; others might just be keeping quiet about their homeland, I am not sure. It is by far my easiest class, but the vocabulary is challenging and the grammar worthwhile. 
Language of instruction: Spanish

Pricing Policies
13:00 - 15:15
The first of my two economics classes. Pricing policies is almost purely based on microeconomics, and for this reason it is a pre-approved class for my economics major by the economics department at BC. This is quite a relief, because apparently getting classes approved is a hassle. Anywho, this class is pretty simple, and does not require oodles of work. I am not sure if there is a required textbook; the teacher seems to just upload lots of powerpoints and pdf files to the class web page. 
Language of instruction: English

Culturas Hispánicas en el Siglo de Oro: Textos y Contextos
17:00 - 19:00
The first of my two Spanish literature classes. This class provides a broad overview of Spanish literature and history since its beginning. It would be better titled "Culturas Ibéricas" because the Iberian peninsula was not really all that Hispanic, back in the day. All those Muslims and Jewish folks were ruining the Catholics purity and stuff. This class is a little slower than the others, but it is interesting most of the time and it should be able to be approved for my Hispanic Studies Major.
Language of instruction: Spanish

Tuesday
Literatura del Siglo XX 
9:00 - 11:00
Literature from Latin America. Authors include Rubén Darío, Pablo Neruda, Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel García Márquez, and Julio Cortázar, to name a few of the better known fellows. I say fellows because I did not see any female authors on the syllabus. The professor explains things clearly, and enunciates very well. 
Language of instruction: Spanish

Español - Avanzado
11:00 - 13:00

International Finance Economics
15:30 - 18:00
My second economics class, and by far my hardest class of all five. The class is actually one of the more difficult classes I have taken at college. At the end of every class we have a comprehensive quiz over not only the lecture but also the previous night's reading. It is quite work-intensive, and quite the opposite of the general "Spanish college" stereotype I was expecting over here. Another BC student, Ryan, takes the class with me. We seem to have a good level of understanding relative to the other students, but only time will tell how this class goes. At the moment, I cannot say.

Wednesday
Español - Avanzado
11:00 - 13:00

Thursday (long day)
Literatura del Siglo XX 
9:00 - 11:00

Español - Avanzado
11:00 - 13:00

Pricing Policies
13:00 - 13:45

International Finance Economics
15:30 - 18:00

So, those are my classes. Wish me luck!

This last weekend, my good friend Miguel visited me from Madrid. We both had a great time. I showed him a lot of the city, we went out and found some really cool restaurants and bars with an assortment of Barcelona people (some only I knew, some only he knew, some mutual friends... it always varied). If there is one this I will say, it is that making plans basically does not happen here in Spain. Things just happen. You throw your reins away to the universe and instead focus on enjoying the moments you have, rather than worrying where and how your future moments will be spent. It's a simple but unknown way of life to most Americans, I believe. And it surely has an adverse effect on productivity and economic growth. Nonetheless, there is something meaningful behind the peace of mind the culture here gives me. I certainly am not on vacation. But it would seem that if vacation were simply a state of mind free from stress and defined daily schedules, many if not most of the people here have the inveterate ability to switch between work and vacation very fluidly. I suppose the weather helps.

Las Ramblas de Catalunya, the biggest and most famous street in Barcelona. I had to take a walk this afternoon down to a restaurant that a few apartment floormates and I went to a few weeks ago because they double-charged my Visa for my meal. What a bother. The waiter was really, really, astoundingly helpful, though. He even remembered me! Because he told me to keep the receipt when I paid, because he wasn't sure if the machine just malfunctioned or if it did, in fact, pay. I was very impressed by his facial recognition abilities. But yeah. This is a touristy photo. 

Although not quite as touristy as this one! This is Plaça de Catalunya, the main square that Las Ramblas runs by. Like any big square in an international city, you can see a Hard Rock Cafe, a McDonald's, and a Burger King from its center. Disclaimer: there are a revolting amount of pigeons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment