Sunday, February 23, 2014

Random International Update (24.2.14)

There are a lot of highlights from the past week or so. Two Fridays ago I taught little Jùlia card games during English "class". The Saturday after I spent the afternoon on the beach with a book (still in jeans and a flannel, but it was really nice out nonetheless) and then played 11v11 soccer, topping  the night off with a steak from our favorite neighborhood cheap and awesome steak place. Sunday my team won our 7v7 mini-tournament in the rainy, cold night. Monday I did my part of our group presentation on a Spanish movie called Vacas. Highlight of that highlight was me mistaking ciclismo for ciclos de la vida. I was trying to say something along the lines of "the cycles of life" but instead I said ciclismo, and ciclismo means recreational bicycling. Moving on to last Tuesday, I watched the City - Barcelona Champions League soccer match in a bar // restaurant. We were surrounded by what we thought were Catalan and/or Barcelona fans. But they were very old and very pessimistic and critical and did not seem the least bit enthused about Barcelona's 0-2 victory against arguably the strongest English soccer team! Wednesday was a display of prime before-exam studying: I woke up at 6:00 AM, studied for a few hours, made eggs, studied more, and took an exam at 1:00 PM. It went very well! I felt very comfortable writing in Spanish - since I am not in a Spanish language class, I don't have as many opportunities to write formally for grades. Tragically Arsenal lost to Bayern Munich, the defending Champions League Champions. Champions Champions Champions. Champions. Anyways. Thursday morn I went for a run with Jacob, a Canadian chap on my floor. It was a lovely run, but the following day I learned Jacob had taken a turn for the worse - i.e. he done got a cold - after the run, and perhaps partly because of the run itself. Anywho. The real highlight I have saved for last.

My first trip of the semester was a ski trip to Andorra with about 50 students in the Melon District residency. I say ski trip, but I mean snowy-mountain trip, because I, in fact, snowboarded. Took the first few hours and a refresher class for me to find my snowboarding legs (primarily my right calf muscles... hot damn they were a-burnin'!) By the end of Saturday I was on to the green hills. Sunday I started off on blue, and felt very comfortable by the end of the day. But I did not dare to do red. Elisa, Eduardo, and I made the ~40 minute series of cable cars // lifts to the other side of the mountain on Sunday. The weather was sunny and the views astounding. What a stunning trip. I might have to go snowboarding more often; it's really cool. 

Melted cheese x Chicken x Salad

Cable car up from the parking lot // bus

The first side of the mountain (Saturday)

Eduardo, me, and Bill - the snowboard crew

Eduardo and Elisa. Note the view behind us - the closer parts are the other hills we took a big cable car to get to on Sunday

Most satisfying burger I have had in Europe. Ain't nothing on Five Guys // Steak 'n Shake // In-N-Out, but still pretty darn good (yes, they put eggs on their burgers - it isn't that bad, actually)

The Boston College crew: Dale, me, and Addison. Those two guys are great, and together we all make up 75% of the Boston College presence in Barcelona. And yes, they are matching on purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment