Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Random Update (1.15.12)

It's good to be back. Sunday I washed my sheets and blankets (starting the semester right) after saying hello to a few people and roommates and stuff. I had been up since 7:30 CST (central standard time? I have no idea if that's the abbreviation) to watch the Manchester United vs. Liverpool and Arsenal vs. Manchester City soccer matches on TV, so I was tired and went to bed around midnight (so early!). On Monday I had two classes: Spanish and Economics. I really like them. Actually I can probably describe/organize all this better, one moment...

Monday
Navigating the Nation: Cityscapes and Countryside 
10:00 AM - 10:50 AM
This is a Spanish elective class that covers literature and art in Spain from the 18th-21st centuries with the same professor as last semester who I really enjoyed. It focuses on the contrast between rural/urban identity in Spain. I just barely took up the last spot in this class because it is technically my "overload" or 6th class and I could only sign up by going to student services and getting an overload approved in person. 

Modern Physics Lab
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
This starts January 28th. 

Microeconomic Theory
6:00 PM - 7:15 PM
The follow-up course to Principles of Economics, this class takes a closer look at a few topics from the intro course. The teacher is a part-time guy in his 30's who knows his stuff and makes the class really enjoyable. He's pretty funny in my opinion. Also, Pat's in this class with me. It's the first class I have ever had with any roommate, ever, besides Mike in Physics (but he dropped Physics so that doesn't count anymore). Also this class is in the new building on campus, called Stokes. It's an honor to have class there (but really it's so freakin awesome). 

Tuesday
Principles of Macroeconomics
10:30 AM - 11:45 AM
The second intro econ course after the one I took last semester. The teacher seems pretty normal, it's a big class though so it's always harder to be a compelling teacher in front of 200 seats. Unfortunately, when he talks for extended periods of time, his saliva froths up on his lower lip. Yes. I went there. The world needs to know. 

Modern Physics
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM
Relativity and basic quantum. Let's go. There was a little of a "thinning of the herd" effect this semester in physics, Sean, Matt, and Mike (and maybe another one or two people I don't know) dropped physics. So it's a little smaller. But the professor, like most physics professors, seems really great. 

Western Cultural Tradition
3:00 PM - 4:50 PM
Continuation of last semester's class, a few substitutions to the roster, but generally the same students. We are reading stories of the Hasidim (Jewish peeps) right now and later Brothers Karamozov. Started Brothers over break and I like it a lot. 

Wednesday
Navigating the Nation: Cityscapes and Countryside 
10:00 AM - 10:50 AM

Microeconomic Theory
6:00 PM - 7:15 PM

Thursday
Principles of Macroeconomics
10:30 AM - 11:45 AM

Modern Physics
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM

Western Cultural Tradition
3:00 PM - 4:50 PM

Friday
Navigating the Nation: Cityscapes and Countryside 
10:00 AM - 10:50 AM

There she is, my schedule. In other news, we have been playing a bunch of card games the last few nights, including but not limited to Spades, Hearts, Palace (or Castle), Cribbage, and Spectrum. I bought frozen strawberries and brie yesterday, but left "This is a Book" by Demetri Martin in the checkout line after I emptied my backpack to fill it up, so I went back to get it today. It's getting cold over here in Boston. Not too much soccer outside, unfortunately. But indoor 7v7 season is starting up, and I am liking me and my roommates' prospects. What else. Oh yeah. Marilyn came. 


1 comment:

  1. They call you Tim Howard, because you always have clean sheets.

    ReplyDelete