Monday, January 21, 2013

Random Update (1.21.13)

It's weird to type "13" at the end up there. But as new years go, this was a pretty normal switch. I can't explain why, but I offer that opinion. 

After a good ol' "syllabus week" full of not too much work because people are still switching classes (until this Tuesday, I believe), I got to hang out with the roomies on Friday. Fridays are nice because I only have one class at 10:00 AM! Which is Spanish, if you're keeping score. This semester I've been inspired to go to the gym, known around Boston College as "the Plex," a lot more than I ever have. There is definitely truth in the shoe company ASICS, which stands for "anima sana in corpore sano." They must have sold a lot more shoes back then than they do now. No one speaks Latin now! Respect for sticking to your Roman roots, ASICS. Respect. Anyways, as I was saying, my head feels better when my body does, so I've been exercising more. And playing soccer, or at least kicking a soccer ball around, as much as I can. Everything is simpler when I have a soccer ball. On the subject of soccer, there may be a few Spring season games for the BC club team. Not quite sure yet. 

This long weekend had some american football games. Mi padre likes the 49er's and we ended up in Atlanta on Saturday, ready for the game on Sunday. Let's start from the beginning. Atlanta is a huge airport. My sources tell me it is the largest in the USA, which I believe. James and Mitchell picked me up sometime in the evening from the airport (they drove to Atlanta) and we went off to the hotel. Between the hotel, hotel parking, and the waiting staff at the Mellow Mushroom, Atlanta was found to be full of not incompetent people... but almost incompetent people... they're more like... frustrating people. The hotel was really cool. The inside plaza thing went up however tens of stories to the roof, and the balconies of the rooms I could see reminded me of Mos Eisley (think sandy).

Inside.

Cool art inside.

After dinner we watched 'Pawn Stars' on the History Channel. The music, the pageantry... wow, what a musical. The funniest moment was probably the (assuming here) drunken chants in the middle of the night from a poor 49er's fan... "Let's, go, Niners," which was occasionally answered by the odd other drunken 49er's fan. It was pretty hilarious, except I was kinda sleeping so it wasn't really that hilarious in the moment. 

The game was awesome. The Georgia Dome is huge and fits many people, most of whom scream very loudly at the top of their lungs whenever a non-Georgia team is trying to score or when a Georgia team scores. It got really loud, is the point I'm making here. San Francisco went down 24-14 first half, but shut out Atlanta in the entire second half to win, 24-28. Pretty amazing game, even for american football. Here are some photos.

Front of Georgia Dome. Adequately sponsored. 

Empty.

Still empty. Other side. 

A hero of ESPN. John Clayton (in HD, he is hard to watch...)

Announcing Atlanta's team with flare. 

Wow, America. Big ol' flag there. 

Coin toss.

Kick off. 


This is the "TV Timeout" guy. He signals to the referees when to take a TV timeout with big orange dish-washing gloves. I think that's hilarious. 

A play with Matt Ryan (BC graduate) at the helm of the attack. 



No comments:

Post a Comment