Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Random Update (4.10.13)

The week following Easter Break held many midterms and papers and problem sets for many people. However, I was not one of those people. On Tuesday we finished up Brothers Karamazov in Western Cult and then later in Modern Physics, we made my only physical homework due that week, a physics problem set, due the following Tuesday, instead of Thursday. What a pleasant surprise. In Spanish, we are reading a novel call Sin noticias de Gurb by Eduardo Mendoza. It's about a pair of aliens who arrive in Barcelona. It's a parody and social commentary/criticism. Very fun book. Although I am a little behind in the reading for this week. We have an essay due a week from today (Wednesday). We have been having consistent club soccer practices, usually Tuesday and Thursday from 5-7 PM. Last week I think I kicked a ball around every day, if only because of the weather. It has been gorgeous! Friday in particular was nice. However, yesterday took the proverbial cake. I'll come back to this day in a moment. 

Last weekend was not too eventful. On Friday, like I said, the weather was outstanding. After Spanish class I had a Skype interview for a really interesting marketing internship this summer. I won't bore anyone with details, but I really hope I get offered the position. An hour or so after that, we (~40 guys) played pickup soccer on Alumni (the football turf field) before being kicked off by women's club rugby practice (what?). We took the bus to Newton Campus and played until dark. After dinner in Stuart (the dining hall I ate at almost every day last year) I showered back in the room and lay down for a little bit before venturing out into the night. Miguel (Texan, avid FIFA 13 player) and I hung out in his room where a few of his roommates were jamming and having a few people over. He lives in down a few floors from me. Then it was off to the Spanish-speaking world of Boston College yet again. This has become my favorite thing to do on weekends. Go out and meet international students who speak Spanish. Jose, my roommate, and Pozo, another friend who plays soccer, both met up with Miguel and me at a friend's house off campus. I left slightly earlier than those guys though because my legs were exhausted from a week of soccer. After a nice snooze, I got up and got lunch with Miguel in lower before heading back to the room to do some homework before going to see the Carolina Chocolate Drops in House of Blues with Sam, Matt, and Zach around 5:30 PM. Show started at 8:00 PM. We took the T downtown and stopped at Panera before the show. The Carolina Chocolate Drops (aka The Drops) have an amazing stage presence. They are much better live than on computer or iPod. The play banjo, fiddle, bones, and guitar. Sometimes at the same time, sometimes not. The main guy, Dom Flemons, is an inspirational character. He looks like he was plucked out of the late 19th century, but he is only 30 years old.


Dom Flemons second from the right with guitar. 

After the show we watched the end of the Michigan basketball game, and then took the T back to campus. Back at the room, Jim and I chatted about life for a little before hitting the hay. Sunday was full of lab reports and more soccer and helping Alex film his short film for 5 hours. 

And now I'm in this week! This week has been even more outstandingly gorgeous outside. I had class outside today, chilled in the new grassy quad with some amigos, kicked a ball around... the tour groups full of prospective students going around today must have been like, "Is this... paradise...?" in their heads because it was amazing although I did not take any pictures so I apologize deeply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment