Thursday, November 7, 2013

Random International Update (7.11.13)

Hey. I've been in Barcelona, so no cool traveling photos this time. However, I am going to Córdoba this weekend with our BC coordinator and the other BC students, so there will be more to come soon. This past week has been really great. I got my International Finance test back, which I got a 9/10 on. I was really pleased with that grade; I studied a lot. Most classes here do not have any grades besides a final paper and a final exam, though. So it’s been mostly just reading (especially for my lit. classes) and some simple daily homework in my Spanish grammar and conversation class. Also: it is impossible to get a 10/10. Seriously. My friend Carolina got a 9,99/10 on her history paper. They do not give 10’s. 

The weather here has finally dipped into the high 60’s, low 70’s in the sun. Which is fine. This weather suits my favorite kind of music better. And since The Head and the Heart and The Avett Brothers both released a new album, I am happier than a camel on hump day. Speaking of camels, a lot of people are traveling to Morocco! I think I might pass on the African extravaganza. I love Barcelona too much. Before I even consider going I’ll have to email Jake. 

More news:

I have completed all the paperwork and pre-paid all the fees to collect my N.I.E.  card (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) to legally stay in Spain until the end of my classes at UPF. I just need to pick it up. This will probably be next Thursday or Friday.

I talked with Teresa, our BC coordinator, this past Monday about my next two trimesters here in Barcelona (it’s a trimester system; that’s why I stay until the end of June!). First I asked about housing. Ideally I wanted to do a homestay, which has happened in the past for students who stay a year. But since it complicates everything far too much, she roundaboutly told me that it is not going to happen. My new objective is to live in an apartment (with a patio, and in one of Barcelona’s older neighborhoods across the park from my school, ideally). The only requirement, she told me, was that I live with Spanish students. Excellent I said. I would not have it any other way. So, pending approval from the BC office back in Boston, I think that is what I will be doing. Side note: there will only be 5 BC students in Barcelona next semester… shocking. I will be doing publicity for the program when I get back to BC. 

Lastly, the next two trimesters are taken usually by 3 + 2 classes. In place of the Spanish grammar class, I will be taking an elementary Catalan language class (probably continuing it into the third trimester as well). I also want to take a Portuguese class, but UPF does not offer a Portuguese class, so I will have to look elsewhere.

Two things I still need to do: 1) email the BC Economics and Romance Languages department heads asking for course approval for my major requirements 2) figure out what the heck I am doing next summer. Maybe an internship in Brazil for a few months? I’ve been hanging out with Brazilians a lot. And the plan is to at least go visit Alex (from BC) and now Andre (new friend in Barcelona, also from São Paolo) after Barcelona. When offered free housing for the World Cup, take it.

Stadium tour of the Camp Nou with Alex on Sunday: this is the players' church, used for pregame solicitation of divine guidance at the expense of the other team.

I thought this was a cool old team crest.

You'd better believe it. Atta' boy, Barry.

Beach soccer. In November.

FC Barcelona - AC Milan


*The Champions*
(you must sing these words in an opera voice)

No comments:

Post a Comment