Monday, November 25, 2013

Random International Update (25.11.13)

Boston College came to Barcelona this past weekend. Alex and Airen visited from Paris, and about six other guys came to Barcelona for a few days on an extended Thanksgiving break (i.e. they skipped Monday and Tuesday of class, a common thing for Thanksgiving). It was probably my favorite weekend in Barcelona yet. Here's a brief overview.

Friday I don't have class, but it was quite a busy day. I had an interview with Amics de la Gent Gran, a volunteer group that provides services to retired people that government programs don't, mainly friendship and some extracurricular activities like day trips, different types of workshops and classes. It's the "human" side of life that programs like healthcare and rent subsidies can't account for, as per the explanation I received a few weeks ago at the info session (conducted in Catalan, may I add). It looks like I will be starting in January. 

Friday before noon I bought a warm coat. I'm told I look more European now. I suppose if I buy a scarf next, I will have to believe that. Right now I'm doubtful. Anyways. Rafa arrived from Boston Friday afternoon, so I checked him in to my residency and showed him around Barcelona (the Barcelona in walking distance from my residency). After lunch at Bo de B (for €3.50 you will be FULLLL) we walked on back. Rafa took a nap, and I went to get coffee with a Catalan girl, Cèlia, who studies at UPF who will be studying abroad at BC next semester. I think that was the most interesting conversation of the semester. My favorite anecdote/interesting thing I remember: she told me how she remembers her friend asking a question in elementary school to their English teacher. Her friend asked "Why are we only studying only one English?" There is a lot behind this question. But basically, since everyone in Catalunya grows up bilingual, everyone takes both Catalan and Spanish grammar classes as a child. Her friend (probably ten years old or so at the time) thought that every "language" had two versions: a Spanish version and a Catalan version. The teacher didn't understand what Cèlia's friend meant, but Cèlia did. I found this bilingual schooling story really interesting. So there ya go. 

Friday night I taught some very basic English to Jùlia (a very eager-to-learn 5-year-old) and avoided her twin brothers at all costs for an hour or so (they are 3 years old... and identical... and named Sergi and Jordi... and I never know which is which) after which I returned to find Rafa, Alex, and Airen all in the cafe in my residency, ready for a great evening of BC reunions. We went for dinner at my favorite place. They have great rabbit there (no, really, the rabbit is exquisite). After dinner we got gelato and went back to the apartment to play some FIFA and have a few drinks at home before going to the big tavern down the street (still reasonably priced, but is there FIFA in the big tavern? No). We shared a big 5L tower of beer among the five of us in La Ovella Negra, a big cool megataverna down the street (Ryan, another BC kid in Barcelona, joined us). After the tavern, we went to a club called Razz Matazz. Rafa lost his coat-check ticket, so we had to wait about an extra 45 mintues longer than anyone else to leave the club. To say the least, it was a late evening. 

This is Razz Matazz

Saturday we woke up late and walked once again to Bo de B. It was so yummy, again (€3.50... crazy!). After lunch we walked to an Irish bar to watch the Arsenal - Southampton game (Giroud!!). Arsenal won 2-0. After returning to my apartment (Rafa and I) and the hostel nearby (Alex and Airen) to shower, we met up with Cèlia and walked around Born, the old Barcelona neighborhood. It was a beautiful albeit chilly evening. We had a few drinks in a bar/restaurant before walking over to Carrer Aribau (a street) for dinner and to meet the other Boston College kids. We had a nice dinner, then went to Chupitos for some drinks after dinner, now with the whole group (about 10 at this point). All the visitors went to the beach clubs after the bar; I, having been upwards of 10 times this semester, declined and went to bed really early (read: 3:00 AM) to get up and do laundry and work on a project for my economics class in the morning. 

Sunday Rafa, Alex, Airen, and Angelo (from Portugal trip!!) all played pickup soccer around 4:00 PM with some other guys from the residency. It was a good time. Sunday night we went to 100 Montaditos, the best bang for your buck in Barcelona (especially on Monday, when everything on the menu is €0.50) where we feasted on €1.00 sandwiches and tinto verano (red wine mixed with cold, fizzy water - it's quite good). 

I guess the only regret is not taking as many photos as possible. But sometimes having a break from technology, even a little break like this one, makes the experience that bit richer. This was definitely my favorite weekend in Barcelona so far. I am really glad I am not travelling any more this semester apart from a few days in December to Madrid for a concert. This city is going to be hard to leave in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment