Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Random International Update (15.1.14)

I heard it got chilly across the pond last week. Here in Barcelona it... um... drizzled yesterday? Tough life, I know. I suppose I do wear a coat, but it's more of a culture thing to wear a coat when it's chilly. Cold tolerance is not impressively high in Mediterranean countries. 

But enough about the weather. That was more of a warm-up blogging exercise. The last ten days have been the culmination of two years of overloading classes and then four months learning the ins and outs of Barcelona. Yes, there are many places yet to go, and of course my class on Barcelona's history and culture will indubitably add to the experience. But having spent a semester here already is such an advantage. Culture shocks and navigating a new city must by themselves have taken up more than half of my mental capacities for the first few months, at least. A necessary learning, but nonetheless a hindrance to more interesting things in life here. The last ten days I have had the pleasure of showing the new arrivals around, taking them to my favorite restaurants, bars, and clubs. I have also played an enormous amount of soccer, which was great up until Monday night when I caught a cold and got crippling blisters on my big toes (enthralling, I know). Digital injuries aside, 'twas a good time, because playing soccer here is harder than I had thought it would be. 

Last Sunday was definitely the highlight. I played in a tournament for three hours at a nearby turf field. There were six teams of eight players. We won our first two games 3-0 and 4-0, finishing top of our group. I played striker and scored four goals. They were nice goals too. I am a good target man, apparently. Probably because I am freakishly tall compared to most Europeans (yes, one guy called me Peter Crouch). I had never really played forward before. We went on to win our next two games, and in the final we scored at the last minute and celebrated like crazy. It was great. We might have won something, but I am not quite sure. We beat Pablo's team in the final. He organizes the games, and apparently his team hadn't lost in a while. Made some cool Italian friends, too. Can't wait to see them this coming weekend.

Since classes have started, but not quite officially started (we can still add/drop classes until Friday) everything is still relatively relaxed. I've gotten to cook more, read more, and meet new people almost every day. You can go to clubs every night in Barcelona. But I have pretty much outgrown those, unless I have the urge to dance or sufficient peer pressure or free entrance. So I like bars. I mean, they only stay open unitl 3:30 AM (I know what you're thinking. That's so early. Well, you're right). But at least conversations can be had. 

I've ordered some super-light and new Asics running shoes and signed up for a gym with some friends, so I am excited to once again become a physically active human (note: only I bought running shoes; the group activity was just referring to the gym membership). I also have planned the trips to Paris and Glasgow in early March. I am really looking forward to those trips. I'm doing those trips with Sam and we are going to see some friends from work last summer, as well as some BC friends in Paris. Speaking of summer work friends, Bre made a surprise landing in Spain on Saturday, and stayed with Stevie and his family up north in Girona. This week she is visiting Barcelona, which is fantastic. I'm showing her and the other new kids around, and having a great time.

The return of Messi from his injury. He casually scored two goals as a substitute. The four BC kids went to the game. The stadium wasn't packed, but it was still a cool experience. Messi is worshiped here.


I saw these two walk past me while I waited outside the soccer field for mi amigo Pablo to show up. I sneakily took a photo of them. 


This semester is turning out almost exactly the opposite as I expected. It is a rude awakening to have people drop out of your life whose company you take for granted. That was what happened in December. Most of the people I knew, left. The small BC community of 10 students was only going to be 4. I had changed rooms to a floor with mostly Spanish students. Most of my classes were full of American students. I just didn't have much ganas to do anything, I guess. It was cold out, and the nuclear family had just left, I don't know actually! Maybe it was just London's weather wearing off. The point is, the last ten days have been absolutely a hoot and a holler. People with senses of humor are the best part of life. 

Non sequitor song to end the post:

No comments:

Post a Comment