Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Random Update (5.1.13)

It's hard not to talk about the weather. It has been sunny and 65 for the last week. Campus is covered with students in colorful clothing relaxing on the grass in the sun. It would surprise me if the prospective students that periodically walk through campus don't all enroll here on the spot.

Two big meetings happened this week already. The first (Monday evening) was the predeparture meeting for studying abroad in Spain next year. Lots of information was given. I am sooooo excited. The second (Tuesday) was a dinner for students who received fellowships/grants for the upcoming summer or year. I got what is called and "advanced study grant" for an independent project this summer to learn some Catalan and research some Catalan poetry. The dinner was really nice! I was pleasantly surprised by Zach (who I'm working with this summer at camp) on my way to dinner, I forgot he had received a Fulbright Fellowship (to study micro-businesses in the Philippines). We met Anna, Alexa, Deepa and a girl whose name slips my mind at our little table. The food was really good. It was salad, green beans, rice, chicken, pasta, and some yummy rolls and soup. Afterwards there were mini cannolis and tea/coffee. 

The speaker was a recent graduate of BC who received the same kind of grant as I did. He has done a lot of work with international arms control, both in his college years and after. Currently he is at the Harvard Kennedy School for Government (wow!). I actually met him earlier this year at a "career conversation" in the career center, and he basically was the reason I decided to apply for the grant. After his speech I let him know that, too. 

In other news, I got my ticket to see Macklemore, a popular new artist with hits like "Thrift Shop" and "Same Love" and "And We Danced". A bunch of us got up around 7 AM Tuesday morning to get in line. The tickets were free, but there are only 6,000 available to all students. Tickets were handed out at 8 AM, and we got ours around 10 AM. Hopefully that was all worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment