Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Random Update (7.22.12)

Going back to Thursday (7.19.12), Pat, Chris, Matt, Emma, and myself drove down to Nick's house in Stone Harbor, NJ for a mini BC summer fling at Uncle Buzzy's famed getaway, Manland. Although the weather was overcast, swimming in the bay was quite refreshing; Nick's house is right on the water with the back porch morphing into a dock. Thankfully there was a bunk room designed for such large gatherings of friends and family. Thursday and Friday consisted of hanging out and around Stone Harbor with friends; late nights finished at the house, for it was well-stocked with food and drink. Saturday, July 21st, my birthday, was fantastic. My to-be-roommate Pat and I woke up at 6:30 AM for the Manland Triathlon which allegedly started around 7:30 or 8:00 AM. So we walked over at 7, registered, and were told to come back before 8:00 AM. So we walked a few houses back to Nick's place and wrapped ourselves in blankets (it was slightly chilly that morning). At 8:00 AM we all jumped into the bay and tread water for a minute or so. We started the race with a quarter-mile swim. I struggled. I moved on to an eleven-mile bike. I was average here. Having not been on a bike for nigh on six-years, I was pleased with this. I moved on to the run. Based on splits, I finished 2nd in the run. Overall I finished 28th with a time of 79:55. Pat (darn it!) beat me by two minutes and change, finishing in 21st. Afterwards, there were refreshments for the athletes. Nick's mom took a lot of photos, which will be up as soon as I get them. from 11:00 AM to about 2:00 PM I slept. From about 11:30 AM to 3:30PM, Pat slept. Boy, that was a wonderfully deserved nap!

That afternoon, Nick's cousin Quinn, Pat, and a bunch of other guys went to the basketball court to play some ball before the evening festivities. The highlight of the day (besides going 6-2 in 5v5) was the most epic almost-alley-oop ever from myself to a Pat flying down the paint from the free throw line. So close. Sooo close. After showering, we held off our appetites for the Manland festivities. Essentially around 80 of Nick's family and friends all come to his great Uncle Buzzy's famed Manland, a converted-garage old-guy-with-some-dough creation. It's actually quite modest. Just a small bar and stuff. But it's decked out with some sweet stuff. Couldn't name it all, but there is a "Mancipation Proclamation" and a shot-ski. Anywho, there was a ton of food and drink, and it was a great time over at Uncle Buzzy's just chilling with friends and enjoying a perfect summer evening after a hard morning of athletic achievement. After food, Nick and company meandered on back to his house for the remaining of the night. Highlights include playing Settlers of Catan, a few folks singing classic and new-classic songs outside with the wonderful talent, Quinn's sister, and on the whole enjoying my birthday immensely. 
Before swim (I'm in the white shorts, Pat's in the black)

After the swim. On to the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment