Monday, July 9, 2012

Random Update (7.8.12)

Worked on Thursday and Friday, and I ran into some more memorable characters.
Dominican Sustainer
So, in the canvassing/membership business, there are folks who give once a year and folks who give smaller amounts every month. I had just talked to one side of a two-family building in Salem (the witch city). The wife warned me that the woman next door didn't speak English very well. She was correct. And I talked to her in Spanish for about half-an-hour about her son who's studying finance and marketing at Suffolk and currently in Japan, about Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his Nobel Prize acceptance speech, and about what I'm studying. Did I mention it was in Spanish? I translated our memorized speech into Spanish and walked her through the process of being a coveted 'sustainer'. It is fulfilling to use Spanish for something productive!
Absent Control Freak
They weren't home. The only reason I actually knocked was because I wanted to confirm that the creators of this sign were insane. 

Saturday I played some soccer for a few hours at BU's turf field. That was lovely. Then I bought some brie and diet Dr. Pepper and headed on home. I got some grub with Nick and Mike at Chipotle, and then relaxed on my own with some music from The Head and the Heart. Today I went to see the New England Revolution play the New York Redbulls with Sam, Dennis, Meredith, and Amelia. What a nice stadium, it was pretty full for an MLS game. And I knocked off one more "Boston Bucket List" item.


No comments:

Post a Comment