Monday, June 11, 2012

Random Update (5.16.12)



After the second day of work I'm a little surprised that I'm typing this update. I'm exhausted, but I think that I don't want to forget everything that happens. Here is the scoop on what I do.
=scoop=
I take the subway (the "T") around 40 minutes before work starts, which has been 12:30 and 11:30 on Monday and Tuesday, respectively.
I get off at Park St. station near Boston Common. 
I was to the Environment Massachusetts office, on the 4th floor right by the stop.
I say hi, check in with the office director(s), and I get my clipboard ready.
=info=
I am a 'canvasser'. We go in groups of five or six to different parts of Boston. We walk around specific neighborhoods and streets on our own. Our street assignment is our own 'turf'. We knock on doors and say our 'rap', a memorized speech that presents the problem, our solution, and is designed to get contributions very carefully. Basically we are working on getting support for a bill that expands a solar energy program called 'net-metering' so that is becomes bigger and more effective and so that MA becomes even more energy efficient. We have a quota of $120 per night. Nights over $200 are 'hot nights'.
=scoop=
We have announcements at 1:45, where people with 'hot nights' are announced with a single-clap per name. 
I am assigned a field manager.
I practice my 'rap'. 
I leave for Enterprise to rent a car for the day with the group, and we drive to our location.
We have late lunch, and plan out our routes.
The field manager gives everyone assignments, like target money goals, and other other related goals (like how many people to talk to, how many postcards to fill out, etc.)
=personal info=
I raised $255 dollars the first night by myself. It was fun. It was rainy. I talked to a bunch of interesting people. Most people were all business or wanted to mind their own business. Some were friendly and sympathetic to young folks out in the rain. One thing is certain, however. And that is that my good com'pat'triot named Bamber was correct in describing my job as professional begging. Yes, it is paid (well!). And yes, it is begging. But I am outside every day, I'm meeting new people, and I'm seeing what makes democracy work.
=scoop=
After five hours being out on 'turf', the team meets up back at the car around 8:45.
I organize my money and contribution forms ('con' forms).
I debrief with the field manager, letting him/her know about my day and how it went, whether my goals were met, etc.
We drive back to the downtown office to 'cash out', which means documenting everyone's money. This takes about an hour. 
We go get food to relax and have a good time.
=end scoop=
There's a lot going through my mind. 'Canvassing' is a learning experience. I learn a lot about an issue. I learn how to get people's money. I learn how to smile at annoying people. I learn the streets of Boston and its surrounding area. I learn that rain is no fun. I learn that UBurger is a delicious establishment. I learn a way to make democracy work. I learn from the people I talk to. And I see a lot of houses. A lot. Tons. Loads. Oodles. Many. So many. Very many. 95 per night (ish).

No comments:

Post a Comment