Sunday, June 17, 2012

Random Update (6.17.12)

So what I'm doing this summer throws me at the public, one person at a time. I talk to people. Lots of people. The people I talk are not (all) dumb. They are full of stories and opinions. I am going to write about them. Not all of them. If I wrote a sentence for each time someone said 'no', I could be a widely published author. These people, however, were more memorable than those who merely shut door on me.


The Canada Hopeful
This old guy listened to my little memorized speech, and then told me what he thought. He believes that solar energy will only work from the top down. The federal government should do it, and no one else. Since New England and Canada are more progressive than the rest of the United States, the only logical outcome is for the two to combine. Yes, he firmly believes that New England will leave the Union for Canada within the next forty (40) years. I believe that change at the federal level happens if there are existing, positive examples of support in multiple states. That's what I'm a part of, expanding a solar energy program in Massachusetts. Maybe a similar program can be part of something bigger, but getting it to work here first is important.
The Electrician
He works with energy and power. Solar panels don't make sense. They require so many special materials to manufacture and leave a huge carbon footprint. They need replacement parts after a few years.
Mac and Cheese House
A really awesome couple. They were very calmly yet excitedly interested in what I had to say. I told them all about the issue, and they were all for it and gave a really generous lump of money! I talked to them around 4:30, and the wife drove by me again around 8:00. She invited me to get some Mac and Cheese because she was amazed that I was still out there. So I stopped and had some Mac and Cheese!
Wednesday Night Magic Director
I was looking around a house while a guy was filling out a contribution form, and I see a hefty stack of magic cards. His wife plays every wednesday and organizes the Boston card group or something like that. We bonded.
Old Coots
I probably spent twenty (20) minutes talking to these two old conservatives about politics, life, and the why the world is the way it is. They were not fond of government/politicians tampering with utility companies and their ways of doing things. The first thing they asked me was "Are you a liberal?". We talked about how important voting is. They remember when a certain huge electric company was split up by government on the grounds of monopoly (I think). This company worked so efficiently and well, it made little sense to them why it was broken up. It's easy to see why people do have different opinions. As someone once said, there is nothing more dangerous than a man convinced beyond all doubt that he is right. Talking to other people and playing devils advocate in my mind is very educational. The husband was (is) a marine and looked like Uncle Doug. The wife was pretty standard looking, I don't remember her much. They were lovely people and it was nice to disagree nicely.
Babe Ruth (Mrs.)
Went to this one house, and the nice lady told me that I was standing in the former... um... gentlemen's retreat of Babe Ruth.
The Tracker
Talked to this guy, and he said he was moving in a month to california, and that he was really busy doing something. He tracked me down later in his car and wrote a check! He felt bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment