Monday, June 11, 2012

Random Update (2.24.12)


So, I have about two weeks to catch everybody up on. Here we go! Two Saturdays ago (the 11th) I attended a very interesting seminar/lecture/talk about leadership. I signed up on a whim, the event lasted from 11:00 AM to 3:30 PM. A very successful Boston College graduate, Mike Del Ponte, was the keynote speaker. He is a big entrepreneur-and-social-justice-businessman-with-a-theology-degree guy. He started a company called SparkSeed, which takes in applications for new social justice ideas from college students, and hands folks with big ideas big lumps of cash to actually do something meaningful. It is a very moving story, and it made me want to find something to be passionate about (I here this is an important thing to do at some point in your life). I also met two new amigos at the meeting, Taylor and (edited). They are much cooler than I am, and I've been seeing them a lot since that Saturday which is great. On Sunday, all the fellows I'm rooming with next year (did I mention my rooming situation? I am rooming with 7 other guys from my floor. Hopefully we get one of the sought-after "8-mans". Otherwise we will split into two quads. Long parenthetical statement, sorry.) performed in the SASA cultural dance show with about 8 other gorgeous female Indian dancers. Since I appeared to be the only guy from the 8-man not dancing, and since (edited) appeared to be the only gorgeous Indian girl not dancing, we made a big poster and cheered them on. It was a good time (the sign read "Occupy White Pants", all the guys were wearing white pants). After the show, my dancing friends changed and we played our intramural 7v7 soccer game. I hurt my ankle, but not too badly. It was all better by Wednesday.

The next week started with a very, very long Monday, as usual. Yada yada yada, five hours of classes, no lunch until 2, and then 4Boston from 5 until about 9:30. Yahoo! The rest of the week was pretty uneventful, namely full of physics tests, Milton papers, and other sorts of labor. But on Friday, Mitchell and Dad came up! I believe they toured Northeastern, Tufts, and Boston College (of course). We went to the hockey game (win, 4-2) and had a good time. Those two were pretty exhausted after the game, so they went back to town to the hotel to sleep. I went to ice cream with some hockey amigos, and then played Balderdash until 2:30 AM. It was a blast. It started out with about 6 people, and by 2:00 there were about 16! Crazy stuff. Good game, Balderdash is. Saturday I went to a play called Medea for my honors class with Pat (one of the eight roommates for next year). The play finished at 4:45 and we hustled downtown to get to Blue Man Group with Dad and Mitchell at 5:00. We made, maybe missing a minute or two at the beginning. The show was entertaining, I recommend it. We went to dinner afterwards, then Dad and Mitchell went to the hotel and Pat and I went back to BC on the T (subway in Boston). Sunday was the Boston College-Duke basketball game! That was really fun, I went with Christine, Pat, Alex, and Ted. At one point we were winning 13-7. It was loud, and Duke's players looked confused. Then they called a timeout and eventually won 50-75. Next year... next year...

Anyone who has made it this far gets a cookie. This week I continued marathon training and soccer. Although being busy meant I didn't run as much (no running Wednesday to Friday) and perhaps that is also why we didn't win our must-win soccer game on Wednesday night. Oh well, no playoffs this year. Next year... next year...

Here's a photo I enjoyed:

No comments:

Post a Comment