Monday, June 11, 2012

Random Update (5.29.12)


It's a bittersweet long weekend. Let's start with the bitter and get sweet. The house I'm staying at this summer was robbed on Sunday night. I was not there, but I'm told that my laptop is gone forever and ever. That made me sad, we had been together for two years and I had hoped to be for many more. All my files and music and videos and photos are safe because my backup drive was not stolen (I think) and also I use this nifty internet syncronization site called Dropbox.  So thanks to the internet, the most concerning of the robbery was, well, the fact that our house was robbed. It was Memorial Day weekend, and the rapscallions chose their target wisely. There were four (4) or five (5) folks in the house when it happened; my roommate Nick and I were both gone. So, any shiny piece of electronics was taken from our room and the living room. I'll be filling out a police report this Thursday, everyone else already has.

The reason I haven't been around Boston is because I'm in Maine, the self-proclaimed Vacationland of the US of A (according to ME license plates). What is there in Maine, you might ask. There are two of my best friends, nice beaches, and a nice city called Portland, I might answer. Alex is a soccer-playing Brazilian from Sao Paolo, and Pat is my direct roommate for sophomore year. I bused up from Boston after work on Friday (and after getting my first paycheck!), arriving in the Concord Bus terminal around 1:30 AM. Pat and Alex showed up a few minutes later in a Camry and we went back to Pat's house. Pat has a big family, both individually and collectively. His older brothers and dad are between 6'3" and 6'5". There is Benjamin (24?), David (22?), Michael (20?), Patrick (19), Timothy (16), Elizabeth (12?), and Mary (10), along with mom and dad. It's a full house. Mary reminds me of Jane; I think they would be friends. Plus they have the same glasses. I met everyone the following morning. 

The afternoon I tried to remember all the names on the way to the beach. It was is tough. We stopped and got some sandwiches from Amato's for later, and then drove in the big suburban to Higgins beach. I kicked around a soccer ball with the senyors, jumped into the freezing Atlantic, and then slept in the sun. We packed up and went to watch Tim throw javalins at his track meet. Then we returned to the beach. After the beach, we went back to the house, cleaned up, and went out to Buffalo Wild Wings for egregious amounts of boneless wings before watching Game 7 of the Celtics-76ers series later that night. Saturday night I read a lot of The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Sunday morning I think Pat got up early for church, then came back and slept until lunch time. Pat and I went running through the trails along the Once Alex got up (he sleeps absurdly late. I was told he scared Mrs. Jerome once when he woke up at 6:00 PM) we left for Pat's grandparents cozy house on the lake. Alex, Pat and I went kayaking for about an hour, and then came back and dried off before heading over to Pat's other grandparents' house for some yummy food, like chicken, salad, mac and cheese, a little bit of steak, ice cream, cake, watermelon, and sugar-topped raspberries. After dinner we played half-court basketball against Pat's brothers Michael (called himself Dirk), Dave (Dirk called him Blake), and Tim (just Tim). The hoop was low. It was a dunk-fest. That night Pat and Alex and I watched The Prestige. That's one worth watching, folks.

Finally, Memorial Day was a relaxing end to a relaxing weekend. We got up, ate some hot dogs, and listened to the end of Frank FM's top 1000 classic rock countdown. Stairway to Heaven won. Dream On was a close second. Then, beach! Except we went to Scarborough beach instead. I mostly just slept this time. After, we went to Five Guys downtown. That evening we watched the Celtics in Game 1 against the Heat, and played Tripoli. 

Today and tomorrow, we are going to see Radiohead in Mansfield, Massachusetts, and the USA play Brazil in Washington, DC, respectively. Pat has work, so he couldn't make the long bus rides to and from DC. But Alex (did I mention he is from Brazil?!) and I are very excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment